The Hi-Gusher

• March 16Tickets to EHS's productions of High School Musical will be on sale during all 3 lunch shifts.

• February 9If your prom date is not an EHS senior, they must be approved. Forms are in Mrs. Thigpens office. Due Mar 29.

Students and Staff prepare for ACT testing

Margarita Gonzalez, Hi-Gusher Staff

El Dorado High School counselors have been working hard to prepare juniors for the ACT by offering various resources, including after-school review, to the students who are on schedule to take the test on Feb. 27.   

Faculty and staff have high expectations for EHS students. The highest score available on the ACT is a 36, and to help reach that, core classes have been using ACT prep for bellwork questions at the beginning of class.  

“The test is given six times a year, with one of those dates being in June,” said Karen Greer, EHS faculty member and math instructional facilitator.

Students have the ability to take the ACT 12 times.  The best score on each sub test is taken by colleges.  The ACT score can also help students gain a variety scholarships.  

“Seniors should take it in the summer and then again during the two fall test dates.  A student should be ready to finish up college enrollment by January of his or her senior year,” Greer said.

English classes prepare for the ACT by using released Reading/English ACT questions at the beginning of class.  Students use this in order to review grammar rules, close reading for details and devices and test taking strategies.  

“Practice timing yourself!  Most students struggle because of the time constraints.  Remember that success depends on the number of questions you get correct; it is more important to be accurate than to be fast,” said EHS English Department Coordinator Jennifer Murphy.

For more information on the ACT contact your counselor or http://www.act.org/content/act/en/students-and-parents.html for more information.