Email exchange prompts student panic

VARtek offers solution soon after

Haley LaGrone, Hi-Gusher Staff

During the first week at El Dorado High School, a change involving student emails caused an uproar when students could no longer access their college application emails, leaving them thinking they had lost access to years of google-based files and more.

On Thursday, VARtek Services Inc., offered a solution, sending a recovery email so students could again access their accounts.

David Campbell, associate engineer, explained the situation.

“If an account is no longer in our database it is suspended, not deleted,” he said. “The password is either what you left it last or we can reset it if you have forgotten.” He said any work done before the rollover should still be in teacher accounts, so no school work was lost either.

Student accounts are generally “wiped out as a matter of fact clean up” but are recreated through the school’s student system each year, he said.

I keep a backup the student files for one year after that,” Campbell explained, adding, “Nothing was lost.”

“Knowing the account is going away after I graduate, I would make my own personal free e-mail at Google and use it for anything personal or for something you will need after you graduate. The same principal applies at a job. I would advise, don’t use your work account for personal business or anything you want to get to if you change jobs,” Campbell said.

College and Career Coach Greg Crew, offered some more advice to prevent future catastrophe.

“Don’t use school emails at all,” he said, speaking about non-school related use, because something could happen and, “The emails could no longer be there.”

“I recommend a personal email…Call the colleges and explain and ask to update [account information].”

Crew also has tips for the future. “Back up future scholarships, essays and other documents to a flash drive.”