New Program Called “HUB” Helping

Sydney Morgan, Hi-Gusher Staff

El Dorado High School has opened the HUB program, a new option for students who are behind in their credits. The program is designed for students that have home or educational issues that would cause them to be behind in classes.
Assistant Principal Shayna Newton said she thinks the program will do an amazing job at increasing the graduation rate at EHS. “HUB can help students be more successful in school and allow them to have flexibility. It also gives them the opportunity to graduate with their original grade,” said Newton.
In order to get into the program, students must fill out an application and have a face to face interview with principals and the teacher of HUB at EHS, Eric Lewis.
Lewis guides the students and works with them to help them succeed. “I work with the principals to find out which candidates would be good fits for the program. Also, I check on students at their jobs for part of their grade. But mostly, I teach and facilitate the students that are in the program,” said Lewis.
“The program is for students who have special situations/circumstances that keep them from performing at their full potential in a regular classroom environment.”
He continued, “It is also for students who need credits to graduate on time or early, planning on what credits they already have.”
HUB was put in place at EHS this year and Newton said students are making good grades in their classes, and some are already planning on graduating early.
According to the 2017-2018 ALE program description form, all students who plan to attend the Hub Program must meet the criteria as outlined in Arkansas Code. Some of the elements in order to enter the program are lack of proficiency levels in literacy and mathematics, abuse, pregnancy or mental health issues.
More than 51 percent of the instruction given is direct, and less than 49 percent of instruction is computerized. Once a student has entered Hub, the student’s progress is monitored daily.
The program currently has more than 40 students enrolled.