October known as ‘Socktober’

Armenia Vartanian

This month, El Dorado Highschool is showing support for Socktober by reaching out to students and urging them to donate socks to the baskets in their 5th-period rooms. The class that donates the most socks will be rewarded with a pizza party. 

Mrs. Sheri Rakin, the Beta club faculty sponsor, is hoping that she and the Beta club will see some involvement with Socktober from the student body. Rankin said, “To encourage students to participate, we are making this a competition between 5th-period classes. The 5th-period class that brings in the most socks will get a  pizza party on the next food day, compliments of the EHS Beta club.”

EHS sophomore Yadira Garcia said, “I’ll be donating baby socks because homeless people have babies that need socks. I also have too many baby socks that my little brother never wore.” Students can donate any kind of sock they want. From large adult sizes to newborn sizes, all are readily excepted.

“Socktober” is the time of the year when donations are made to the Salvation Army to give socks to the homeless. Socktober is a program run by a Catholic Mission founded by Brad Montague, the founder of Socktober. In 2011, Brad Montague wanted to give to the homeless and found out that socks are the least donated item to homeless shelters. Because of this, he ended up giving socks out on the streets and posted the videos to social media, where the issue gained light. This led Brad to make a rap song that could be purchased for a 5-dollar donation to The Van, a group that drives a Van around Arkansas to deliver the necessities. Socktober is now a worldwide charity, where in the past year, all 7 continents donated pairs of socks to Brad Montague’s organization.