College Life

Kennedy Langston

As EHS seniors near the end of the school year, for many, college will be the next chapter of their lives. Going to college and essentially being independant can create several mixed emotions for anyone, and many seniors are dealing with a myriad of feelings.

Senior Breanna Kilgroe said she feels anxious, yet excited, for her upcoming year of college at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville.

Tykeonce Hicks, a senior at EHS, also feels the excitement of turning a new leaf.

Hicks said, “I’ve always felt that being grown is a mindset. Being in college shows your maturity. It’s going to be a great time to live and learn.”

However, other soon-to-be graduates feel differently about the prospect of the independence and responsibility college life brings. Jeremy Boone said he fears that college will push him out of his comfort zone. “I think it’s going to be uncomfortable. I’m not going to be used to it,” he said.

It’s common for students to fear the unknown of what’s to come, but what they may not know is what advantages El Dorado High School provides for anyone interested in college.

College and Career Readiness Coach April Moone divulged some of the opportunities available for college-seeking students.

“Looking at the statistics, in year 2020 most if not all jobs will require post-secondary education,” Moone said. She has advice for students who feel mixed emotions about college. “Further your understanding. Finding out who you are helps develop your future and how you’ll be in college,” she said.

Information can be provided in the guidance counselor’s office to help ease one’s mind about college. The college guidebook by ADHE, Arkansas Department of Higher Education, provides high school students with attendance cost, federal aid, saving for college and other essential traits of college.